Wednesday, July 12, 2006

What is Art?

When I ask what is art? I do not even attempt to try to answer it. I am wondering, 'what art is?' I go to art museums and try to be 'artsy' (something I have to do when I travel yet I do not enjoy at all). Now, I finally come to study film which is art in a function. I still wonder what art really is...

The following is a little journey...

My first film...set out to express lost and confusion in the city, ended up with the audience mouth wide opened, not in the sense of awe but in sense of helplessness. Many thought the film had random scenes and little meaning. I concede my failure towards the technical errors and unconvincing casting but I do not understand why people criticise it when I have managed to express confusion in them. I was downhearted in my attempt to express my meaning of art since my expression was lost amongst a class of art students. What art is exactly? The screening was conducted in the way that after the show is done. The makers will take the stage in front of the class to take criticism without the opportunity to provide an answer. Film is, after all, an art to convey stories visually. So if you get the movie, there is no need for external commentary on the movie. And that was what I got...

However, my hope was reignited when two really nice girls came up to me and tell me that they liked it and they understand what I was trying to convey, telling me not to listen to the criticism of the others. But I ask, 'what use of art is, if they sit still alone with no one attending to it?'

So the second film...I had my crazy idea again. However, one of my crew commented, as I set up my shoot, that it is not going to work. I took it to heart and was reminded of my first experience with the class and decided not to go with the initial plan. And so i did...then i regretted...and now I have to do my editing with something that I do not like due to the influence of others.

Then is the screen-writing class. I wrote a screenplay about the contradiction between Singapore and chewing gum. The class turned into an uproar...not regarding the story..but with Singapore and the issue of chewing gum...and I got the comment that it could be a comedy, that there is no high climatic point. However, the script is about the contradiciton about chewing gum, the ups and downs of living with a contradiction, and hence no climatic point. It is not a comedy, but a romance, clearly written out with its elements. Why in a class of screen-writing, do we favour hollywood blockbusters with the standard 3-act sequence of introducing the character, to the conflict, then to resolution?

I was invited to the tea reception for film certificate students at NYU. And there on the panel were screenwriters, professors, directors, the likes of people established in the profession of film. They talk about the real world of movie-making. The fuel that feed the engine of film-making, that is of course - money. They told us to write scripts that cater to the crowd. I came out of the reception with the message that film making is, after all, about the audience, and the audience is, after all, what provides the money to make your film.

So what is art is art?

My little journey is to continue...

I will not attempt to find the answer but I will continue to follow my heart...art is, and will not be my ultimate profession after all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home